The Arab Council for the Social Sciences (ACSS) is a regional, independent, non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening social science research and knowledge production in the Arab region. By supporting researchers and academic/research institutions, the ACSS aims to contribute to the creation, dissemination, validation and utilization of social science research in the region.
The ACSS is seeking for the position of:
Research and Program Assistant for the Arab Social Science Monitor (ASSM) project
This is a full-time post, based at the ACSS offices in Beirut, Lebanon.
The ASSM is an ACSS observatory of the landscape of the social science research and higher education in the Arab region. It documents the infrastructure of knowledge production (universities, research centers, professional associations, periodicals, etc.) and chronicles the work and careers of the social science community across the region. To that end, the ASSM collects and analyzes both quantitative and qualitative data and makes that data and knowledge produced publically available through data resources and publications.
Data for the ASSM is collected through various tools, the major ones being (1) a periodic survey of the social science community in the Arab region, (2) databases of social science institutions, products, practices, etc and (3) commissioned papers for topical issues.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Research and Program Assistant will assist in ASSM research, outreach and administrative tasks as follows:
- Preform literature reviews and create and check bibliographies. Take major responsibility for data collection through literature reviews and other sources.
- Assist in all types of data entry and data collection.
- Review and proofread reports, papers, databases as well as translations.
- Assist in organizing meetings, workshops and conferences of the ASSM as well as ACSS activities, as appropriate.
- Take minutes of meetings and prepare task lists and schedules.
- Assist in drafting external communications and correspondence.
- Assist in outreach and follow-up related to ASSM activities and events.
- Maintain ASSM correspondence and files.
- Perform other research, outreach and administrative tasks, as needed.
- Work with other ACSS units such as Communications, Finance, Administration, as needed.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor degree in a Social Science or related discipline with at least 2 years demonstrated experience in desk research.
- High level of proficiency in all MS Office applications.
- Strong knowledge of Arabic and English is required. French is an asset.
- Very good oral and written communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for research.
- Superior organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proactive and self-motivated with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to manage workload and meet deadlines.
- Able to work as part of a team
The Research and Program Assistant will report to ASSM Project Leader. S/he will work collaboratively with other ASSM and ACSS staff and consultants, as needed.
Please submit a cover letter and your CV by e-mail to email@example.com.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Salary is commensurate with experience + generous benefits package.
The ACSS aims to fill this position as soon as possible.